[Freeipa-users] change min and max lifetime of random password

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Mar 24 22:17:42 UTC 2014

On 03/24/2014 05:53 PM, Stijn De Weirdt wrote:
> hi alexander,
>
>>> No, because then you have to either ship keytabs around during
>>> provisioning or hardcode that user's password in the kickstart and
>>> they are already nervous about doing that for the OTP.
>> This topic raises regularly on IRC. My suggestion was to create these
>> one time passwords based on some function of time and host parameters
>> you can control centrally, for example, IP address.
>> For example, using Python expression:

>> '19216801201403242030'
>>
>> i.e. a password is an IP address octets concatenated with date and time
>> rounded down to 15 minutes.
>>
>> Then ship the function to calculate the OTP as part of kickstart file.
>> Only a password generated when running install within 15 minutes
>> window of
>> setting OTP on the server will work if IP address is the same as defined
>> on the server.
>>
>> No real password is in the kickstart file, OTP will turn itself off
>> automatically on enrollment and time has to be within the window of
>> opportunity.
>>
> but the password itself is still valid if the install failed and
> someone else tries to use it.
> it's good that you can't guess the password that easily (it's slightly
> better than a fixed string in the kickstart script), might be a good
> candidate if it was coupled with a short enough lifetime. (coupled
> with minimum lifetime as an offset, you might even schedule
> installations in the future).
>
> i don't understand what the ip adds to the password though. the
> ipa-client-install should fail if the ip/hostname doesn't match the
> data in freeipa for that host, right? (the only secret is in the
> timewindow that the admin scheduled, assume that the
> ipa-client-install enforces the ip/hostname)

ipa-client-install does not enforce IP. I do not think we even store IP
in the host entry. It is stored only in the DNS part, but the IP can be
updated by the system self registration and that happens only after the
system enrollment and this IP registration happens using kerberos
identity of the system.