[Freeipa-users] ipa-client-install fails on replica because of kinit cannot contact any KDC

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue Mar 25 07:50:20 UTC 2014

It searching for ldap.mydomain.com because you still have DNS SRV record
_kerberos._udp.mydomain.com. pointing to it. I would start there.

As for the failure, I would check that the generated /etc/krb5.conf is correct:

~~~~~~~~~
includedir /var/lib/sss/pubconf/krb5.include.d/

[libdefaults]
  default_realm = MYDOMAIN.COM
  dns_lookup_realm = false
  dns_lookup_kdc = false
  rdns = false
  ticket_lifetime = 24h
  forwardable = yes

[realms]
  MYDOMAIN.COM = {
    kdc = ldap2.mydomain.com:88
    master_kdc = ldap2.mydomain.com:88
    admin_server = ldap2.mydomain.com:749
    default_domain = mydomain.com
    pkinit_anchors = FILE:/etc/ipa/ca.crt
  }

[domain_realm]
  .mydomain.com = MYDOMAIN.COM
  mydomain.com = MYDOMAIN.COM
  .mydomain.com = MYDOMAIN.COM
  mydomain.com = MYDOMAIN.COM
~~~~~~~~

(I assume you did more anonymizing that expected, ipa-client-install does not
generate 2 domain_realm mappings unless client domain is different that server
domain (e.g. client.other.mydomain.com and server.mydomain.com)).

What I would do in your place is to:
1) Backup your current /etc/krb5.conf
2) Replace it with the krb5.conf which was generated during ipa-client-install
(you can find non-anonymized version in ipaclient-install.log)
3) Try to kinit: kinit skarulkar at MYDOMAIN.COM

Then it will be easier to troubleshoot. To get more information what kinit
actually does, try enabling a trace:

# KRB5_TRACE=/dev/stdout kinit skarulkar at MYDOMAIN.COM

You will be then able to see if it really connects to right IP address which
would enable you to debug further.

Martin