[Freeipa-users] Backup / Restore

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Thu Mar 27 12:31:09 UTC 2014

On 03/27/2014 01:09 PM, Andrew Holway wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am being tasked with setting up freeipa for an organisation. A
> replica will be created but they also require a backup / restore
> strategy.
>
> Has anyone implemented backup restore? Ideas? Recommendations? Dragons?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andrew

Good topic! I would be really interested in experience from FreeIPA users. I
can only provide information from FreeIPA development team member point of view.

Our thoughts on topic of Backup and restore:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Backup_and_Restore

Original design of backup and restore scripts:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3/Backup_and_Restore

As you can read in the first document, we are not yet convinced that
backup&restore scripts is the right thing to do + we also do not have enough
information from the field. If these scripts is what admin wants, if yes - do
they work for them?

If you check open Backup and Restore tickest, there are really not many of them:
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/query?status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&component=Backup&order=priority&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&group=milestone

Martin