[Freeipa-users] cant authenticate using freeipa userid on ubuntu12.04

Todd Maugh tmaugh at boingo.com
Mon Mar 31 22:30:28 UTC 2014

I have found this to be my only way to get Ubuntu to work with ipa as clients

Add the IDM servers to the hosts file

		echo "{ip address of idmserver}   {fqdn of idm server " >> /etc/hosts

Set the Hostname for the box

		echo "ubuntu-idm-02.boingo.com" > /etc/hostname

Add ipa and sssd repos to box

		apt-add-repository http://ppa.launchpad.net/freeipa/ppa/ubuntu

		apt-add-repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/sssd/updates/ubuntu'

		apt-get update

Install the Ipa Client

		apt-get install -y freeipa-client

Realm: YOUR REALM

DOMAIN: YOUR DOMAIN

SERVER: FQDN OF YOUR IDMSERVER

user to enroll: admin

password : YOUR PASSWORD

Make some modifications to ubuntu

		mkdir -p /etc/pki/nssdb

		certutil -N --empty-password -d /etc/pki/nssdb

		mkdir -p /var/run/ipa

Clear out original install

		rm -f /etc/ipa/default.conf

Move aside and re version the python version

		cp /usr/share/pyshared/ipapython/version.py /usr/share/pyshared/ipapython/version.py.bak

		sed -i "s/API_VERSION=.*/API_VERSION=u'2.49'/g" /usr/share/pyshared/ipapython/version.py

install the ipa

		ipa-client-install

		restart sssd

		service sssd restart

you should then have a walking talking Ubuntu client