[Freeipa-users] sudo and NIS domain name

Dean Hunter deanhunter at comcast.net
Thu May 1 20:53:04 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-05-01 at 16:32 -0400, Dmitri Pal wrote:
> On 05/01/2014 04:07 PM, Dean Hunter wrote:
>

> > I just noticed that I had been incorrectly setting the NIS domain
> > name since upgrading to Fedora 20 and FreeIPA 3.3.4, yet I appear to
> > be successfully retrieving and using sudo rules from FreeIPA.  Is
> > sudo still using NIS-style netgroups?  Is there still a requirement
> > to set the NIS domain name?
>

> I think NIS domain is needed for netgroups. If you are not using
> netgroups in the sudo rules but just user groups you should be fine.
> Is this the case with you?
> If not please provide the logs and config.

I am not aware of using netgroups, either the IPA object or any other
kind.  I just remember that when I was first configuring sudo to
retrieve rules from IPA it would not work until I set nisdomainname
in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.  Here is the quote from section 14.4 of the
manual:

        Even though sudo uses NIS-style netgroups, it is not necessary
        to have a NIS server installed. Netgroups require that a NIS
        domain be named in their configuration, so sudo requires that a
        NIS domain be named for netgroups. However, that NIS domain does
        not actually need to exist.

With Fedora 20 I can no longer find the emulation of rc.local that
existed in Fedora 19.  I did find fedora-domainname.service and started
and enabled it but neglected to configure /etc/sysconfig/network.  Yet
IPA sudo rules appear to work.