[Freeipa-users] Theming FreeIPA

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Mon May 19 11:30:51 UTC 2014

On 19.5.2014 09:05, Martin Kosek wrote:
> On 05/17/2014 04:27 PM, Christopher Swingler wrote:
>> Short and to the point, but I have the same question. :)
>>

>> On May 16, 2014, at 9:08 PM, Chris Whittle <cwhittl at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a doc anywhere?
>
> CC-ing Petr Vobornik to help with that. You can already achieve some theming
> with overriding the CSS + utilizing Web UI plugins we already have in FreeIPA
> Web UI. Note that Web UI in FreeIPA 4.0 will change extensively as it
> migrated to Patternfly project, I wonder if there are more theming options then.
>
> Martin

FreeIPA doesn't have an official theming support. But, as Martin
mentioned, you can do some theming.

Up to version 3.2 the only option was to change css files and images in
/usr/share/ipa/ui Obviously this method is not ideal since it won't
survive rpm update.

Since version 3.2 it's possible to create a UI plugin [1] which would
load additional css with override rules. This method is suitable only
for minor theming - it's not very comfortable to create override rules
for half of the application.

PatternFly [2] will be used in FreeIPA 4.1, example of current
development version: [3]. PatternFly is based on Bootstrap 3 which is
probably the most used frontend framework -> people are familiar with
Bootstrap theming.

To speed up(start) development of proper theming support I suggest you
create a new [RFE] ticket [4].

It would also help us to know what parts of the application you want to
theme, i.e., just logos and background?

[1] http://pvoborni.fedorapeople.org/doc/#!/guide/Plugins
[2] https://www.patternfly.org/
[3] http://pvoborni.fedorapeople.org/ui/