[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA, RedHat Directory Server and Centros DS

Rich Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 16:28:24 UTC 2014

> On Tue, 04 Nov 2014, Roman Naumenko wrote:
>>> You definitely can set up separate instances of 389-ds. Preferably
>>> this should be done on separate hosts than IPA masters because
>>> otherwise you'll have a number of practical issues with different
>>> instances binding to the same LDAP/LDAPS ports and so  on.
>>
>> Is 389-ds equivalent of RedHat Directory Server
>> (http://www.redhat.com/en/technologies/cloud-computing/directory-server)?
>>
> Red Hat Directory Server is what is known as 389 Directory Server
> (389-ds) upstream project. Essentially, it is the same code. If you have
> specific questions about support of Red Hat Directory Server, I'd
> suggest you to ask them Red Hat sales/support people (of which I'm
> neither one). ;)

The relationship between 389 and Red Hat Directory Server (RHDS) is
roughly the same as the difference between Fedora and Red Hat.  389 is
the upstream - it moves fast, goes through versions very quickly, and
contains a lot of "bleeding edge" code.  RHDS is the downstream - the
rate of changes is slower, versions change slowly, and contains very
stable code.  Periodically, RHDS will rebase to some version of 389.
For example, RHEL 6.4 rebased on 389 1.2.1.15. From that point on (RHEL
6.5, RHEL 6.6) we only backport key features and bug fixes, preferably
after they have been well tested and QA'd.  RHEL 7.1 will rebase RHDS to
some version of 1.3.x branch from 389.