[Freeipa-users] strange error deleting replica?

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue Nov 11 11:01:59 UTC 2014

On 11/10/2014 06:58 PM, Janelle wrote:
> Hi --
>
> Has anyone seen this before?
>
> # ipa-replica-manage del kermit.xyzzy.com --force
> unexpected error: [Errno -2] Name or service not known
>
> ?? Very confused as to What service or name is not known?
>
> This is 4.0.5 running on CentOS  7.
>
> ~J

This is usually DNS resolution error, though the command should not crash this way.

Does follow resolution work?

$ host `hostname`
$ host kermit.xyzzy.com

Alternatively, if you are not sure which DNS resolution fails, we could look at
strace output:

$ strace -o ipa.strace ipa-replica-manage del kermit.xyzzy.com --force

That would create a log caled ipa.strace with all system calls of
ipa-replica-manage del command and we would see which DNS resolution failed.

Martin