[Freeipa-users] DNS: Possible to set a CNAME for bare domain?

Will Sheldon mail at willsheldon.com
Sat Oct 4 17:16:14 UTC 2014

Hello everyone : )

Is it possible to configure a CNAME for a bare domain with freeIPA?

We would like to move our site over to an Amazon ELB, but to do so we have to point our domain (foo.com, not www.foo.com) at an was A record with a CNAME (something like xxxxxxxxxxxx.eu-west-1.elb.amazonaws.com)

This is technically possible, but IPA complains:

"invalid 'cnamerecord': CNAME record is not allowed to coexist with any other records except PTR"

I’m guessing this is because of the @ NS record.

Is there any way to override this behaviour? Can I make manual modifications to the zone file?

Will Sheldon