[Freeipa-users] FW: FW: FW: named and IpA

Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support) licause at hp.com
Mon Oct 6 15:22:10 UTC 2014

Thanks for the additional data.    It starts to make sense now, but I'm wondering if that could possibly be a weakness
in the IdM model ?

Al

-----Original Message-----
From: freeipa-users-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:freeipa-users-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Petr Spacek
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2014 7:35 AM
To: freeipa-users at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] FW: FW: named and IpA

On 6.10.2014 15:17, Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support) wrote:
> Thanks very much for the additional input.  The configuration as you describe it is correct with a minor detail
> correction that I didn't notice earlier.    16.112.240.27 is the master for the osn.cxo.cpqcorp.net zone while
> 16.112.240.40 is a slave for that zone.    But as you have said, both are authoritative for that zone.
>
> I won't belabor the point and will move on to try a different configuration as my ultimate goal here is to create
> trust domains between a linux and an AD domain.     To that end I will reconfigure the current IdM server such that
> it is in a different subnet and domain.
>
> I just find it odd that when ipa is shutdown and named is restarted on
> the system designated as the IdM server, that dns works and the forwarders are not ignored as they are when ipa is running.

The reason is that authoritative data are stored in LDAP but global forwarding configuration (specified on ipa-server-install command line) is stored in /etc/named.conf.

LDAP server is not reachable when IPA is down so BIND cannot see zones in LDAP and "global" forwarding in named.conf causes that it accidentally works for you.

Forwarding is evil :-)

--
Petr^2 Spacek