[Freeipa-users] getent passwd / group

Craig White CWhite at skytouchtechnology.com
Mon Oct 27 23:38:14 UTC 2014

RHEL 6.5 - new install
ipa-server-3.0.0-42.el6.x86_64
389-ds-base-1.2.11.15-47.el6.x86_64

On the master, I get nothing

[root at ipa001 log]# getent passwd admin
[root at ipa001 log]#

But it works on the replica as expected

[root at ipa002nadev01 ~]# getent passwd admin
admin:*:1140000000:1110000000:Administrator:/home/admin:/bin/bash

I am used to using PADL / NSSWITCH with OpenLDAP and I am rather surprised that on both, 'getent passwd' and 'getent group' return only entries from local files but then again, I've never used sssd before.

Partial from /etc/sssd/sssd.conf
[domain/stt.local]
cache_credentials = True
krb5_store_password_if_offline = True
ipa_domain = stt.local
id_provider = ipa
auth_provider = ipa
access_provider = ipa
ipa_hostname = ipa001nadev01.stt.local
chpass_provider = ipa
ipa_server = ipa001nadev01.stt.local
ldap_tls_cacert = /etc/ipa/ca.crt

[sssd]
services = nss, sudo, pam, ssh
config_file_version = 2
domains = stt.local
debug_level = 6

Shouldn't I be seeing both local files and IPA defined users with 'getent passwd' and IPA defined users with 'getent group' commands?

What could cause 'getent passwd admin' not to work on the master server now when I know I tested it when I first set it up and it worked?  I have done little more than import users and groups from OpenLDAP and configure HBAC, sudo stuff in the IPA web UI.

Craig White
System Administrator
O 623-201-8179   M 602-377-9752

[cid:image001.png at 01CF86FE.42D51630]

SkyTouch Technology     4225 E. Windrose Dr.     Phoenix, AZ 85032