[Freeipa-users] FW: named and IpA

Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support) licause at hp.com
Fri Oct 3 14:51:48 UTC 2014

Dmitri,

Thanks for the input, but I tend to think the problem is further down within IM.    If it were a pure name misconfiguration
why would it work when IM is shut down and named restarted, with no change to the dns records ?

I'll keep monitoring this discussion for further input.

Al

From: freeipa-users-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:freeipa-users-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Dmitri Pal
Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2014 5:24 PM
To: freeipa-users at redhat.com
Subject: Re: [Freeipa-users] named and IpA

On 10/02/2014 01:05 PM, Licause, Al (CSC AMS BCS - UNIX/Linux Network Support) wrote:
[cid:part1.05000104.02080200 at redhat.com]

We have IdM running on a RHEL V7 system and have configured a local DNS server
in our test lab.

We have loaded the various SRV and TXT records needed by the IdM server.

PROBLEM:

>From the IdM server we can only lookup local records.  The name resolver will not
attempt to look to another other name servers or domains defined in /etc/resolv.conf

If I shutdown IdM using ipactl stop and then restart named, the name resolver works
for local and remote hosts, addresses and domains as well as serving up the SRV records
defined on the local host.

Am I correct in assuming that while IdM is up and running, the only other systems it
will communicate with at least with regard to name services is another host also
running IdM defined either as a server or a client ?

If this is case, is there anyone to better integrate some of these common services such
as named into an existing network such that you are not limited by the IdM components ?

Al Licause

If DNS is running on IdM the DNS lookups might be forwarded to different DNS servers depending on your DNS cofiguration.
Based on what you describe it seems that there is some sort of DNS misconfiguration.
I would leave to gurus to help you with that.

--

Thank you,

Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio