[Freeipa-users] Error: invalid 'AD domain controller' when establishing trust

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Fri Oct 10 04:26:27 UTC 2014

On Fri, 10 Oct 2014, Genadi Postrilko wrote:
>Thank you for providing the reference.
>I understood that when creating a forest trust between two AD forests,
>the trust is transitive to all domains in both forests (by default).
>And it has to be established between the two forest root domain.
>
>External trust (between AD forests or domains), is non transitive.
>Trust can be established between (child) domains in different forests,
>without the need to create trust between child domains and the forest
>root domain of the opposite forest.
>
>But i'm not sure about Realm Trust.
>Realm Trust considered as a kind of forest trust? And that why the trust
>has to be established between the forest root domains (and not like
>external trust) ?
FreeIPA only provides the first type of the trust -- a forest trust to
AD where AD thinks it trusts an AD forest. All other types of forest are
irrelevant in this context and have no implementation or support in
FreeIPA.

>Assuming i follow the IPA Trust setup guide-
>The trust created between red.com (AD forest root domain) and
>linux.blue.com (IPA domain) is configured to be transitive? Users from
>blue.com domain will able to login to IPA domain?  And so are users
>from other child and root domains in the forest?
Yes, and yes.

You have
	ipa trustdomain-find|del|disable|enable

commands to manage what domains from the trust can have access to IPA
resources. Forest root domain is always allowed, you cannot disable it,
only delete the whole trust.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy