[Freeipa-users] No result when trying to integrate a FreeBSD client with the FreeIPA server

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 13:06:02 UTC 2014

On Tue, 14 Oct 2014, Orkhan Gasimov wrote:
>So which way do I go?
>1) Change the server VM`s hostname from "ipa1.eurosel.az" to
>"ipa1.ipa.eurosel.az" prior to issuing IPA installation command
>2) or leave my hostname and contents of /etc/hosts file intact and
>specify a different FQDN and domain part of the IPA server after
>issuing IPA installation command?
>Yes, I know - this is a question Homer Simpson would ask.
Allocate ipa.eurosel.az domain zone to FreeIPA and install FreeIPA with
integrated DNS. Essentially, (1), with domain=ipa.eurosel.az, realm
IPA.EUROSEL.AZ.

If you want later to see how this setup scales, all you would need to do
is to make sure the other clients would use ipa1.ipa.eurosel.az as a
resolver.

>14-Oct-14 17:43, Petr Spacek пишет:
>>On 14.10.2014 13:48, Orkhan Gasimov wrote:
>>>I need further assistance with this moment:
>>>"specify IPA domain name which is sub-domain of you existing
>>>domain (e.g.
>>>ipa.eurosel.az) ".
>>>
>>>Currently my FreeIPA server's hostname is ipa1.eurosel.az, and client's
>>>hostname is bsd1.eurosel.az.
>>>So when running this command:
>>>
>>>"ipa-server-install --setup-dns --forwarder <ip address of your
>>>*existing* DNS
>>>server>",
>>>
>>>the installation program detects the hostname of the VM
>>>(ipa1.eurosel.az) and
>>>offers it as IPA server FQDN;
>>>then it offers "eurosel.az" as the domain name. I can make changes right
>>>during the installation process (FQDN = ipa1.ipa.eurosel.az & domain =
>>>ipa.eurosel.az), but then there will be a conflict with the real
>>>hostname and
>>>records in the /etc/hosts file.
>>>
>>>On the other hand, if I change the hostname of the server VM to
>>>"ipa1.ipa.eurosel.az" prior to running the IPA installation
>>>program, then the
>>>installation program will offer my server an FQDN of
>>>"ipa1.ipa.eurosel.az" and
>>>a domain name of "ipa.eurosel.az". But doesn`t it mean that my client`s
>>>hostname should also be changed to bsd1.ipa.eurosel.az? I`d like
>>>to avoid
>>>this, because in production I won`t be able to change the domain
>>>part of FQDN
>>>for hundreds of clients.
>>
>>Clients don't need to be in the same domain as IPA. The IPA domain
>>in DNS is necessary to store 'metadata' like SRV and TXT records
>>etc.
>>
>>You can even experiment with IPA servers which are not in the IPA
>>domain but I'm not sure how much it was tested.
>>
>>Alexander can add more details about records required for AD
>>integration and how it should work with clients which are not in the
>>IPA domain.
>>
>>Petr^2 Spacek

>--

/ Alexander Bokovoy