[Freeipa-users] sysctl and/or limits.conf?

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Tue Oct 14 13:48:04 UTC 2014

Janelle wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> A lot of this information has been very useful.  I did have a question I
> could not answer. I noticed in the Deployment Recommendations docs, it
> says not to have any more than 4 replication agreements. Perhaps I am
> missing something, but I don't see how to get a replica to be a master
> to be able to create another replicate?  Am I missing something obvious
> here?

Every IPA install is a master. The only distinction between servers are
the optional services of DNS and a CA. So don't get confused by replica
vs master. Once an IPA server is up it is a master.

We don't recommend any one master to have more than 4 agreements. Each
agreement adds a bit more load on the server to calculate the
differences to send to each one, so you want to keep it reasonable. I'd
recommend making a map of your topology to ensure that no master ends up
alone, or one ends up being overloaded. You can use ipa-replica-manage
to control the replication topology. By default a single agreement is
set up between a new master and the one that created it.

Any master can create a new master.

As you do your installations be sure to have at least 2 masters with a
CA on it to avoid a single point of failure.

rob