[Freeipa-users] No result when trying to integrate a FreeBSD client with the FreeIPA server

Orkhan Gasimov orkhan-azeri at mail.ru
Thu Oct 16 08:04:48 UTC 2014

OK, back to FreeIPA - FreeBSD setup.
I changed my setup: instead of 2 VMs now I have 4 VMs:

1: DNS server - set up as shown by Rajnesh Kumar Siwal in
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SmiwFoHVeI&index=4&list=PLdKXnZQzEG-KmtKq-LelPn5RTKfJig0Wc

2 and 3: IPA server & IPA linux client - set up as shown by Rajnesh
Kumar Siwal in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zlcxjkbayk

4: IPA BSD client - set up as described in the post at FreeBSD forums.

Results:

1) my IPA linux client interacts fine with the IPA server;

2) my IPA BSD client also interacts with the IPA server: it sees IPA
users when issuing "getent passwd" or "getent shadow". (Previously when
I used just 2 VMs and no DNS server, that didn`t happen.)

Problems after I start sssd on the FreeBSD client:

1) I can`t ssh into my IPA BSD client either as an IPA user (rsiwal) or
local user (root);

2) if I restart my IPA BSD client, I also can`t login to it locally as
either "root" or "rsiwal". I get totally locked out of the machine.

FreeBSD displays some errors on the screen when using:

1) SSH:
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/888b415dac43%2Fssh_error_IPA_user_and_root.JPG

2) local login:
https://cloud.mail.ru/public/3399c5b67c33%2Flogin_error_root_and_IPA_user.JPG

FreeBSD complains about line 19 in /etc/pam.d/system. That line reads:
account  required  /usr/local/lib/pam_sss.so ignore unknown user

The file "pam_sss.so" exists on my FreeBSD machine in the specified
location. Deleting "ignore unknown user" from that line doesn`t help.
Changing the position of that line so that it preceeds
account  required  pam_unix.so
also gives no result.

Please help me to understand, what can I do in such a situation? Is it a
bug in pam_sss.so?