[Freeipa-users] Recovering from messed-up certs

Rob Crittenden rcritten at redhat.com
Thu Oct 23 20:05:35 UTC 2014

Eric McCoy wrote:
> Some nicknames changed to protect the innocent.  The
> puppetmaster/hostname cert is nominally unrelated, though its creation
> was contemporaneous with the disappearance of server-cert so I can't
> entirely rule it out.
>
> Certificate Nickname                                         Trust
> Attributes
>
> SSL,S/MIME,JAR/XPI
>
> puppetmaster/hostname                     u,u,u
> REALMNAME IPA CA                                             CT,C,C
> ipaCert                                                      u,u,u
> Signing-Cert                                                 u,u,u

Ok, this is good. If we have ipaCert we can get a cert directly from the
CA like we do during installation.

The attached python script should fix things up for you.

Save it, modify it and replace subjectbase with what matches your
environment. You can get the base from an existing cert with:

# certutil -L -d /etc/dirsrv/slapd-REALM -n Server-Cert |grep Subject

Unless you changed it during installation it should be O=<REALM>

Then just run the script:

# python newcert.py
Initializing API
Setting up NSS databases
Untracking existing Apache Server-Cert
Issuing new cert
Tracking Server-Cert

# service httpd start

The only thing this script doesn't do is put this updated certificate in
the service record's LDAP entry.

rob