[Freeipa-users] Third party SSL certificate renewal

Dragan Prostran dprostran at monexa.com
Fri Oct 24 02:36:58 UTC 2014

Hello,

This is my first time posting to this list, so if I've made a faux pas
or mistake, please do correct me.

Can anyone please point me to the correct method to renewing 3rd party
SSL certificates used by FreeIPA 3.0? I suspect I've not done this
correctly.

Here is what has worked correctly so far:
1. FreeIPA is installed and configured to work correctly. It uses 3rd
party SSL certificates. I have access to the CSR, the certificate, the
private key, and the new CA bundle.
2. I have successfully followed these instructions to update the SSL
certificates used by Apache to serve the FreeIPA web interface:
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Using_3rd_part_certificates_for_HTTP/LDAP.
Of note is that there are 2 IPA servers, and the procedure has been
followed on both.
3. Upon visiting the FreeIPA web interface, I can see that the
certificate is valid, and expires in the future. Login to FreeIPA and
modifying (for example) an LDAP password, work correctly.
4. 3rd party services that take advantage of LDAP work correctly. I
can login and authenticate via LDAP.

Here is what does not work correctly:
1. A distinct, 3rd party webservice that takes advantage of LDAP *via
SSL* no longer is able to authenticate. Prior to certificate update
mentioned, this did work correctly. I must admit I'm unfamiliar with
LDAP (via SSL), and so instead of troubleshooting that service, I had
a closer look at the FreeIPA instance.
2. When connected to the FreeIPA instance, and issuing 'ipa
user-status username', the following error is returned:

ipa: ERROR: cert validation failed for "CN=CERT_CN_REDACTED,OU=Domain
Control Validated" ((SEC_ERROR_UNTRUSTED_ISSUER) Peer's certificate
issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.)
ipa: ERROR: cert validation failed for "CN=CERT_CN_REDACTED,OU=Domain
Control Validated" ((SEC_ERROR_UNTRUSTED_ISSUER) Peer's certificate
issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.)
ipa: ERROR: cannot connect to Gettext('any of the configured servers',
domain='ipa', localedir=None): https://IPA1_FQDN_REDACTED/ipa/xml,
https://IPA2_FQDN_REDACTED/ipa/xml

Note that, CERT_CN_REDACTED is the *.domain.tld cert that has been
renewed. Of note is that, prior to the certificate update noted above,
this did work correctly, and would return the status of the user.

Further, when issuing 'ipa service restart' on the IPA instance, the
following is returned:

# service ipa restart
Restarting Directory Service
Shutting down dirsrv:
    DIRSRV_REDACTED...                                     [  OK  ]
Starting dirsrv:
    DIRSRV_REDACTED...[21/Oct/2014:19:07:22 -0700] - SSL alert:
CERT_VerifyCertificateNow: verify certificate failed for cert
CERT_CN_REDACTED - GoDaddy.com, Inc. of family
cn=RSA,cn=encryption,cn=config (Netscape Portable Runtime error -8172
- Peer's certificate issuer has been marked as not trusted by the
user.)
                                                           [  OK  ]
Restarting KDC Service
Stopping Kerberos 5 KDC:                                   [  OK  ]
Starting Kerberos 5 KDC:                                   [  OK  ]
Restarting KPASSWD Service
Stopping Kerberos 5 Admin Server:                          [  OK  ]
Starting Kerberos 5 Admin Server:                          [  OK  ]
Restarting MEMCACHE Service
Stopping ipa_memcached:                                    [  OK  ]
Starting ipa_memcached:                                    [  OK  ]
Restarting HTTP Service
Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
#

Can anyone instruct me as to what may be misconfigured? I assume this
is the root cause of LDAP via SSL not working correctly, but I'm not
quite sure how to verify that.
It is of note to say that the CA bundle (a chain of public keys
leading to a root, 3rd party CA) issued with the new certificate is
different from the previous certificate bundle. I know this as I have
records of the original certificate, key, bundle, and CSR. The CA
bundle issued with this new certificate is *different* from the CA
bundle used with the original certificate. As I have not provided, or
otherwise used, this new CA bundle when renewing the certificates in
FreeIPA, I suspect this is the root cause of the error, and so I ask
for help here.

---
Dragan Prostran