[Freeipa-users] Third party SSL certificate renewal

Jan Cholasta jcholast at redhat.com
Fri Oct 24 13:12:08 UTC 2014

Hi,

Dne 24.10.2014 v 04:36 Dragan Prostran napsal(a):
> Hello,
>
> This is my first time posting to this list, so if I've made a faux pas
> or mistake, please do correct me.
>
> Can anyone please point me to the correct method to renewing 3rd party
> SSL certificates used by FreeIPA 3.0? I suspect I've not done this
> correctly.
>
> Here is what has worked correctly so far:
> 1. FreeIPA is installed and configured to work correctly. It uses 3rd
> party SSL certificates. I have access to the CSR, the certificate, the
> private key, and the new CA bundle.
> 2. I have successfully followed these instructions to update the SSL
> certificates used by Apache to serve the FreeIPA web interface:
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/Using_3rd_part_certificates_for_HTTP/LDAP.
> Of note is that there are 2 IPA servers, and the procedure has been
> followed on both.
> 3. Upon visiting the FreeIPA web interface, I can see that the
> certificate is valid, and expires in the future. Login to FreeIPA and
> modifying (for example) an LDAP password, work correctly.
> 4. 3rd party services that take advantage of LDAP work correctly. I
> can login and authenticate via LDAP.
>
> Here is what does not work correctly:
> 1. A distinct, 3rd party webservice that takes advantage of LDAP *via
> SSL* no longer is able to authenticate. Prior to certificate update
> mentioned, this did work correctly. I must admit I'm unfamiliar with
> LDAP (via SSL), and so instead of troubleshooting that service, I had
> a closer look at the FreeIPA instance.

The 3rd party webservice needs to trust the CA certificate of the LDAP
server certificate in order for this to work.

> 2. When connected to the FreeIPA instance, and issuing 'ipa
> user-status username', the following error is returned:
>
> ipa: ERROR: cert validation failed for "CN=CERT_CN_REDACTED,OU=Domain
> Control Validated" ((SEC_ERROR_UNTRUSTED_ISSUER) Peer's certificate
> issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.)
> ipa: ERROR: cert validation failed for "CN=CERT_CN_REDACTED,OU=Domain
> Control Validated" ((SEC_ERROR_UNTRUSTED_ISSUER) Peer's certificate
> issuer has been marked as not trusted by the user.)
> ipa: ERROR: cannot connect to Gettext('any of the configured servers',
> domain='ipa', localedir=None): https://IPA1_FQDN_REDACTED/ipa/xml,
> https://IPA2_FQDN_REDACTED/ipa/xml
>
> Note that, CERT_CN_REDACTED is the *.domain.tld cert that has been
> renewed. Of note is that, prior to the certificate update noted above,
> this did work correctly, and would return the status of the user.

This means that the CA certificate of the HTTP server certificate is
missing from the NSS database at /etc/pki/nssdb.

> Further, when issuing 'ipa service restart' on the IPA instance, the
> following is returned:
>
> # service ipa restart
> Restarting Directory Service
> Shutting down dirsrv:
>      DIRSRV_REDACTED...                                     [  OK  ]
> Starting dirsrv:
>      DIRSRV_REDACTED...[21/Oct/2014:19:07:22 -0700] - SSL alert:
> CERT_VerifyCertificateNow: verify certificate failed for cert
> CERT_CN_REDACTED - GoDaddy.com, Inc. of family
> cn=RSA,cn=encryption,cn=config (Netscape Portable Runtime error -8172
> - Peer's certificate issuer has been marked as not trusted by the
> user.)
>                                                             [  OK  ]
> Restarting KDC Service
> Stopping Kerberos 5 KDC:                                   [  OK  ]
> Starting Kerberos 5 KDC:                                   [  OK  ]
> Restarting KPASSWD Service
> Stopping Kerberos 5 Admin Server:                          [  OK  ]
> Starting Kerberos 5 Admin Server:                          [  OK  ]
> Restarting MEMCACHE Service
> Stopping ipa_memcached:                                    [  OK  ]
> Starting ipa_memcached:                                    [  OK  ]
> Restarting HTTP Service
> Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> Starting httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
> #

This means that the CA certificate of the LDAP server certificate is
missing from the NSS database at /etc/dirsrv/slapd-DIRSRV_REDACTED.

> Can anyone instruct me as to what may be misconfigured? I assume this
> is the root cause of LDAP via SSL not working correctly, but I'm not
> quite sure how to verify that.
> It is of note to say that the CA bundle (a chain of public keys
> leading to a root, 3rd party CA) issued with the new certificate is
> different from the previous certificate bundle. I know this as I have
> records of the original certificate, key, bundle, and CSR. The CA
> bundle issued with this new certificate is *different* from the CA
> bundle used with the original certificate. As I have not provided, or
> otherwise used, this new CA bundle when renewing the certificates in
> FreeIPA, I suspect this is the root cause of the error, and so I ask
> for help here.

You are right this is the root cause. To fix IPA, you need to import the
CA certificate to NSS databases at /etc/dirsrv/slapd-DIRSRV_REDACTED,
/etc/httpd/alias and /etc/pki/nssdb, copy it to /etc/ipa/ca.crt and
/usr/share/ipa/html/ca.crt and update
cn=CAcert,cn=ipa,cn=etc,dc=example,dc=com in LDAP with it.

> ---
> Dragan Prostran

Honza

--