[Freeipa-users] Use of SAN's with automatic certificates in FreeIPA 4

Michael Lasevich mlasevich at lasevich.net
Fri Sep 12 18:43:54 UTC 2014

That is awesome, but I am clearly missing some insight as to how this is
supposed to work. Can you point me to some more specific info on how to
accomplish this.

I tried using the ipa-getcert request with multiple -D's  from the client,
but got :

** Insufficient access: You need to be a member of the serviceadmin role to
add services

Unless I am missing something,  I should probably not add each host to
"serviceadmins" for security reasons.

So I then I tried generating a csr via openssl with SANs on the client and
then adding it using "ipa cert-request file.csr --prinicple
host/${client_hostname}@DOMAIN"  from ipa server as admin (just to be sure)
and got this error (where <ALIAS> is the first SAN):

** ipa: ERROR: The service principal for subject alt name <ALIAS> in
certificate request does not exist

It sounds like I need to create service principal for each SAN, but I can't
seem to figure out how to do it (only allows me to create service
prinicpals for existing hosts)

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated

-M