[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA ActiveDire​ctory Integratio​n: Managing AD Users in IPA

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Sat Sep 13 23:14:34 UTC 2014

On 09/13/2014 05:27 PM, Gregor Bregenzer wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There are two ways that you can use to integrate FreeIPA with AD: a.)
> trust b.) synchronization  Here are the pros/cons for both of them:
> http://www.freeipa.org/docs/master/html-desktop/index.html#trust-sync
>
> If you want to manage POSIX attributes for each user can do that with
> either identity management for Unix at AD using the trust, or with the
> synchronzation at FreeIPA. With synchronization you see the users to
> in FreeIPA, but still have to two users to manage - in FreeIPA and AD.
> With the AD trust the sssd daemon running on FreeIPA is proxying all
> request from the client sssd directly to AD
This is not exactly true. SSSD understands that IPA and AD are in trust
relations. If you use user name and password to login SSSD will turn to
AD directly without sending password over the wire. If you SSO into the
linux box the kerberos library (on you windows client) will do all the
ticket acquisition and redirects.

The proxy is already done for older clients that does not understand
that IPA is in trust relations with AD.
http://www.freeipa.org/images/2/2e/FreeIPA33-trust.pdf

> , so you see no users in
> FreeIPA, but you have to extend the AD schema using Identity
> Management for unix.

You really have two options: let SSSD to map users dynamically, in this
case you do not need AD schema extensions or you can extend schema as
suggested.
The third option that is under development is described in my other reply.