[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA ActiveDire​ctory Integratio​n: Managing AD Users in IPA

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 14:25:53 UTC 2014

On 09/14/2014 03:42 AM, Gregor Bregenzer wrote:
>> On 09/13/2014 05:27 PM, Gregor Bregenzer wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> There are two ways that you can use to integrate FreeIPA with AD: a.)
>>> trust b.) synchronization  Here are the pros/cons for both of them:
>>> http://www.freeipa.org/docs/master/html-desktop/index.html#trust-sync
>>>
>>> If you want to manage POSIX attributes for each user can do that with
>>> either identity management for Unix at AD using the trust, or with the
>>> synchronzation at FreeIPA. With synchronization you see the users to
>>> in FreeIPA, but still have to two users to manage - in FreeIPA and AD.
>>> With the AD trust the sssd daemon running on FreeIPA is proxying all
>>> request from the client sssd directly to AD
>> This is not exactly true. SSSD understands that IPA and AD are in trust
>> relations. If you use user name and password to login SSSD will turn to AD
>> directly without sending password over the wire. If you SSO into the linux
>> box the kerberos library (on you windows client) will do all the ticket
>> acquisition and redirects.
>>
>> The proxy is already done for older clients that does not understand that
>> IPA is in trust relations with AD.
>> http://www.freeipa.org/images/2/2e/FreeIPA33-trust.pdf
>>
> Sorry, there are two things i did not mention a.) no SSO, b.) Linux
> Client SSSD requesting UID/GID.
>
> a.) if you ssh login from a Windows client that is _not_ joined in AD
> or a standalone Linux box - so no SSO. Because there the destination
> Linux clients with sssd (1.9.2 with AD trust compatibilty with ipa
> provider, or 1.11+ with full AD trust capability) still need SSSD on
> the FreeIPA Server that will forward the authentication requests to
> AD. In slide 30 of
> http://www.freeipa.org/images/2/2e/FreeIPA33-trust.pdf it states:
>
> "SSSD is used behind the scenes on the FreeIPA server
> to lookup up users in trusted AD domains
> SSSD on FreeIPA clients will forward resolution requests
> to FreeIPA servers through FreeIPA LDAP server plugin"
>
> b.) If you have a client that is authenticating using Kerberos and
> therefore SSO, the destination Linux sssd client still needs the sssd
> client on the FreeIPA server to lookup the UID/GID. So there's the
> authentication process either with SSO or without SSO, and there's the
> lookup process for the attributes - am i correct?

If the client is new i.e. 1.9+ it will know ho to use trusts and will
support UID/GID coming from AD.
These clients should be joined to IPA.
Other older clients need to be handled following the guidelines re
legacy clients.
See below.

>>> , so you see no users in
>>> FreeIPA, but you have to extend the AD schema using Identity
>>> Management for unix.
>>
>> You really have two options: let SSSD to map users dynamically, in this case
>> you do not need AD schema extensions or you can extend schema as suggested.
>> The third option that is under development is described in my other reply.
> What happens if you have already defined the UID/GID with the schema
> extension on AD and have legacy Linux clients using them, but you
> still want to use the exact UID/GID _and_ make use of all the great
> features offered in FreeIPA such as HBAC, sudorules, etc.? Then only
> the AD Trust with SSSD 1.11+ with full AD trust feature set is working
> - correct (because 1.9.2 with ipa provider cannot get the GID from
> AD)?

SSSD 1.9 should work ok with IPA in trust relations.
Earlier versions or other clients should be pointed to the IPA compat tree.
http://www.freeipa.org/images/0/0d/FreeIPA33-legacy-clients.pdf

Then you get exactly what you are looking for.