[Freeipa-users] copy encrypted password into IPA?

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Mon Sep 22 19:21:07 UTC 2014

On 09/22/2014 02:23 PM, Ron wrote:
> We would like to add some users that are currently in the
> password/shadow files on some servers into IPA.
>
> Is there any way to copy (preferably via a script) the encrypted
> password into IPA so that we do not have to have them reset their
> passwords?
>
> Our idea is to use the "IPA  user-add" command to create the user then
> insert their encrypted password into their IPA entry.
>
> Regards,
> Ron

The most probably answer is no since the hash types would not match
between what you have in the files and what LDAP server expects.
If you by any chance configured your files to use other hashes than
default it might match. You can go the other way and reconfigure the
LDAP server but AFAIR it is not recommended.
The user-add command would not work anyways as it does not accept hash
as an input. Or I should say it would allow you to add users without
passwords in a script.
You can set a random password, send it to account owner in a script and
make account owners to change passwords (default) on the first use.

--
Thank you,
Dmitri Pal

Sr. Engineering Manager IdM portfolio