[Freeipa-users] Understanding the migration mode

Prasun Gera prasun.gera at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 17:56:56 UTC 2015

Thanks for the response. It looks like there is already a ticket for this
which has been open for a while (https://fedorahosted.org/389/ticket/131).

I understand that distributing hashes is a bad idea. I was considering it
mainly to do a seamless migration of clients. What was slightly unsettling
was that enabling (crypt + nis-plugin) is actually worse than plain old nis
because of limited crypt support. From a migration standpoint, it makes it
pretty much an all or nothing solution. i.e. Migrate all the NIS clients in
some way at once, either to LDAP or completely to native IPA clients, or
live with DES crypt if one wants to do a staged migration from NIS.