[Freeipa-users] Proper configuration of service accounts

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Fri Apr 3 20:32:59 UTC 2015

On Fri, 03 Apr 2015, Dmitri Pal wrote:
>On 04/03/2015 09:36 AM, Brian Topping wrote:
>>>On Apr 3, 2015, at 6:17 AM, Dmitri Pal <dpal at redhat.com
>>><mailto:dpal at redhat.com>> wrote:

>>>The ACIs changed because we tightened them for the read permissions.
>>>I hope you would be able to change them so that your service
>>>account works again.
>>>Here is the root page of the changes that we implemented.
>>>http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Permissions_V2
>>>
>>>System account is probably the right one for Postfix.
>>>
>>>It is not in the UI and CLI because other features take
>>>precedence. We acknowledge that it needs to be added, we just not
>>>have enough time and resources to do it.
>>>When we looked at 4.2 we assessed it too and it was on the border
>>>line with a good chance of not happening, sorry.
>>
>>Thanks Dmitri. I had known in advance about the ACLs, but couldn't
>>fully appreciate what was going to happen until doing the upgrade.
>>Once it was done, I was kind of surprised that the ACL changes
>>replicated to the 3.x server. As luck would have it, I didn't
>>snapshot both servers at the same time before upgrading either, and
>>eventually, the ACLs managed to work their way back to both the 3.x
>>snapshots (one of them was obviously snapshotted after the other one
>>had been installed with 4.1). I couldn't find upgrade notes with
>>"gotcha"s, this might be a good addition if there are somewhere. It
>>was kind of humorous in all.
>>
>>As for the service feature itself, please don't apologize. I think
>>you guys did a spectacular job with this feature set. What I was
>>concerned about is making sure I am doing things as closely as
>>possible to future patterns to reduce upgrade costs. I don't know if
>>it's possible to document the pattern without committing to the
>>feature, but it might be helpful.
>>
>>The one thing I would like to discover at this point is whether
>>roles and privileges build in the UI can be used by system accounts.
>
>I am eager to know that too, please do not hesitate to share your
>findings. :-)
I don't think you can achieve that with existing 'ipa permission-add'
command because it limits memberof filter to existing IPA groups.

We have an update plugin that updates managed permissions and it could
be used as a basis to add more permissions declarative-style but right
now it can't be used as it is.

Definitely worth filing a ticket and fixing this ASAP.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy