[Freeipa-users] How to set the home directory for AD users?

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Thu Apr 9 16:52:01 UTC 2015

On Thu, 09 Apr 2015, Guertin, David S. wrote:
>We have a trust relationship set up between our IPA domain and our AD
>domain. When ad AD user logs in to an IPA client, they are given a home
>directory of /home/<ad-domain>/<username>. I would like to change this
>to /home/<username>. (I'm not interested in automatically creating the
>home firectory on login, I just want to change the directory name.) The
>users are not assigned a home directory in AD, so it's up to IPA to set
>it.
>
>In the [nss] section of /etc/sssd/sssd.conf, I have
>
>  homedir_substring = /home
>
>but that doesn't do it. Neither does:
>
>  fallback_homedir = /home/%u
>
>Where can this variable be set?
If your clients are RHEL 7.1, remove all of the hacks and use ID Views instead.
https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Windows_Integration_Guide/id-views.html

ID view 'Default Trust View' will be applied automatically -- on RHEL7.1
clients by SSSD picking it up from IPA master, on legacy clients by
their lookups to compat trees. On RHEL6.6 I think SSSD is not capable
doing the lookup 'RHEL7.1 way' yet but a rebase is planned to get next
update cycle to catch up.
--
/ Alexander Bokovoy