[Freeipa-users] understanding RUVs?

Martin Kosek mkosek at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 07:11:34 UTC 2015

On 04/21/2015 01:26 AM, Janelle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I was working with OpenLDAP, and AD - and did not deal with "RUV"s the way
> I am with 389-ds and IPA.
>
> I am trying to understand what is "normal" for values. If I am looking at this
> (and seem to have no replication problems):
>
> ipa-replica-manage list-ruv
>
> ipa001.example.com:389: 13
> ipa002.example.com:389: 12
> ipa003.example.com:389: 11
> ipa004.example.com:389: 10
> ipa005.example.com:389: 7
> ipa006.example.com:389: 6
> ipa007.example.com:389: 5
> ipa008.example.com:389: 3
> ipa009.example.com:389: 16
> ipa00a.example.com:389: 17
> ipa00b.example.com:389: 15
> ipa00c.example.com:389: 14
> ipa00d.example.com:389: 9
> ipa00e.example.com:389: 8
> ipa00f.example.com:389: 4
>
> I guess I was wondering, should I be seeing all the same values or should they
> all be unique based on being "replicated" and the order they were added?

They should be unique, that's for sure. There is some info on them in Red Hat
DS docs:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Directory_Server/9.0/html/Administration_Guide/Managing_Replication-Solving_Common_Replication_Conflicts.html#cleanruv

I am just not sure if they are replicated or per-server. But given they live in
SUFFIX, I assume they are. The list above looks OK to me, so it should not
cause the replication problems.

But I am rather CCing Thierry to advise here.