[Freeipa-users] understanding RUVs?

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Tue Apr 21 07:38:32 UTC 2015

On 04/21/2015 01:26 AM, Janelle wrote:
> Hello,
>
> When I was working with OpenLDAP, and AD - and did not deal with
> "RUV"s the way I am with 389-ds and IPA.
>
> I am trying to understand what is "normal" for values. If I am looking
> at this (and seem to have no replication problems):
>
> ipa-replica-manage list-ruv
>
> ipa001.example.com:389: 13
> ipa002.example.com:389: 12
> ipa003.example.com:389: 11
> ipa004.example.com:389: 10
> ipa005.example.com:389: 7
> ipa006.example.com:389: 6
> ipa007.example.com:389: 5
> ipa008.example.com:389: 3
> ipa009.example.com:389: 16
> ipa00a.example.com:389: 17
> ipa00b.example.com:389: 15
> ipa00c.example.com:389: 14
> ipa00d.example.com:389: 9
> ipa00e.example.com:389: 8
> ipa00f.example.com:389: 4
>
> I guess I was wondering, should I be seeing all the same values or
> should they all be unique based on being "replicated" and the order
> they were added?  Or is it telling me something else? Sorry, I guess I
> am still trying to wrap my head around replication metadata.
the output of list-ruv lists the replicaids and the corresponding
servers the replica knows about. It should be unique and exactly match
the servers (with their replicaid) deployed in your topology.
If there are more ruvs, you probably have removed a server and should
clean the ruv, if you have less than replication from the missing
replica in the list did not get propagated to this server.

But the output of list-ruv only shows part of the RUV, the "real" ruv
looks like this:

  ldapsearch -LLL -o ldif-wrap=no -h localhost  -p 30522 -x -D
"cn=directory manager" -w .....  -b "cn=config"
"objectclass=nsds5replica" nsds50ruv
dn: cn=replica,cn=dc\3Dexample\2Cdc\3Dcom,cn=mapping tree,cn=config
nsds50ruv: {replicageneration} 51dc3bac000000640000
nsds50ruv: {replica 100 ldap://localhost:30522} 5506ce51000000640000
55254d91000000640000
nsds50ruv: {replica 200 ldap://localhost:4945} 5506cf8e000000c80000
5506cf8e000000c80000

The most important part is the last field, eg 55254d91000000640000 it is
the csn of the last change this server has seen for replicaid 100
(0x64). In a replication session the ruvs of the supplier and consumer
are compared to detect if the supplier has changes the consumer has not
yet seen.
So the ruvs have to be managed per server.

Ludwig