[Freeipa-users] Web UI: Migrated Admins missing action buttons

Christopher Lamb christopher.lamb at ch.ibm.com
Sat Apr 25 07:12:38 UTC 2015

Hi Rob and Dimitri

Migrating via Replica is the obvious way that I would have gone, had the
FreeIPA /RedHat documentation not suggested the replicas must have the same
version.

I think the link that put me off from replicating was:

http://www.freeipa.org/docs/1.2/Installation_Deployment_Guide/en-US/html/sect-Installation_and_Deployment_Guide-Setting_up_Multi_Master_Replication-Creating_the_Replica_Information_File.html

Looking at the link more closely I now see this applies to version
1.2 ....., but from the page itself that was not obvious. it would be great
if the version to which the IPA documentation applies was more obvious....
I am sure I am not the only user who enters the documentation via a search
engine.

The missing buttons turns out to be down to the fact that the admin group
was not migrated, as it is present on both old and new, so while the "old"
admin users were migrated (together with membership of all other groups),
they were not added to the admin group on the new instance. I should have
realised this sooner!

# ipa user-show xxxx
  User login: xxxx
  Member of groups: smb-delivery, smb-fssadmin, ipausers, smb-development,
smb-software, smb-all, smb-implementation, dba, users
# ipa user-show admin
  Member of groups: ipausers, trust admins, adminonly, admins

Adding "old" admin user xxxx via cli:

# ipa group-add-member admins --users=xxxx

# ipa user-show xxxx
  Member of groups: smb-delivery, smb-fssadmin, ipausers, smb-development,
smb-software, admins, smb-all, smb-implementation, dba, users

I guess that when the Web UI decides to cooperate, and let me in without
"your session has expired" error (see other ticket), I will have the
missing buttons....

Thanks for the help

Chris