[Freeipa-users] thousands DSRetroclPlugin mesages

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Wed Apr 29 13:43:03 UTC 2015

On 04/29/2015 03:17 PM, Martin (Lists) wrote:
> Am 27.04.2015 um 09:45 schrieb Ludwig Krispenz:
>> On 04/26/2015 10:49 AM, Martin (Lists) wrote:
>>> Hallo
>>>
>>> after a reboot I get almost thousand of the following messages:
>>>
>>> DSRetroclPlugin - delete_changerecord: could not delete change record
>>> 128755 (rc: 32)
>> this message comes from changeglog trimming and means that an entry,
>> which should be purged does not exist (any more).
>> the retrocl maintains a first/lastchange and trinming starts at
>> firstchange. if for some reason (race ?) there is an attempt to try to
>> delete the same entry a second time this message should be logged.
>> since the changenumbers in the error message increases, I think
>> changelog trimming moves forward. you could do searches on
>> "cn=changelog" to verify that trimming works.
> changelog is part of the ldbm database plugin and contains several
> informations I don't understand (or understand partially). What kind of
> information should I look for?
the changelog keeps track of the changes applied to the database, a
typical entry looks like:
dn: changenumber=4,cn=changelog
objectClass: top
objectClass: changelogentry
changeNumber: 4
targetDn: cn=tuser,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
changeTime: 20140411093444Z
changeType: delete

each entry gets a DN made up from he changenumber, so your entries will
be named:
dn: changenumber=61,cn=changelog
dn: changenumber=62,cn=changelog
dn: changenumber=63,cn=changelog
dn: changenumber=64,cn=changelog
changenumbers start and are always incremented, changelog trimming
removes old entries (depending on config).

so if you do a search like:
ldapsearch .................. -b "cn=changelog"
the changenumber of the first entry rerurne should always increase,
indicating that trimming works.

you said "thousands" of messages, how frequent are they really ?