[Freeipa-users] thousands DSRetroclPlugin mesages

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Thu Apr 30 11:36:16 UTC 2015

On 04/29/2015 05:51 PM, Martin (Lists) wrote:
> Am 29.04.2015 um 15:43 schrieb Ludwig Krispenz:

>>> changelog is part of the ldbm database plugin and contains several
>>> informations I don't understand (or understand partially). What kind of
>>> information should I look for?
>> the changelog keeps track of the changes applied to the database, a
>> typical entry looks like:
>> dn: changenumber=4,cn=changelog
>> objectClass: top
>> objectClass: changelogentry
>> changeNumber: 4
>> targetDn: cn=tuser,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
>> changeTime: 20140411093444Z
>> changeType: delete
> OK, I looked in the wrong directory. Now I have found many changelog
> entries, starting with number 152926 and ending with 155512 (ldapsearch
> states 2588 numEntries). Should that be that much?
>
> The oldest is about two days and an half old and it does not change
> within the last few minutes.
>
>> each entry gets a DN made up from he changenumber, so your entries will
>> be named:
>> dn: changenumber=61,cn=changelog
>> dn: changenumber=62,cn=changelog
>> dn: changenumber=63,cn=changelog
>> dn: changenumber=64,cn=changelog
>> changenumbers start and are always incremented, changelog trimming
>> removes old entries (depending on config).
>>
>> so if you do a search like:
>> ldapsearch .................. -b "cn=changelog"
>> the changenumber of the first entry rerurne should always increase,
>> indicating that trimming works.
> As it seems my trimming is broken, at least partially. Is there
> something I can adjust?
no, it seems to be ok, IPA configures the "changelog maxage" as 2d, so
if changelog trimming runs, it removes changes older than two days, then
it "sleeps" for this time and then runs again, so the changes could pile
up to four days, then get trimmed and so on ...

>> you said "thousands" of messages, how frequent are they really ?
> On every reboot I got these messages. I do not get them during normal
> opperation.
how frequently do you reboot ? maybe you only see the trimming after startup