[Freeipa-users] Setting up Active Directory trusts in a secure environment

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Sat Aug 1 09:33:41 UTC 2015

On Fri, 31 Jul 2015, Dan Mossor wrote:
>On 07/31/2015 10:08 AM, Sumit Bose wrote:

>>>I didn't think the SID was even being evaluated - the authentication being
>>>attempted was through Kerberos, which I uderstand only uses host keytabs,
>>>not SIDs. Am I correct in this situation?
>>
>>yes and no :-) The keytab is used to get a TGT and then a cross-realm
>>TGT from the IPA KDC. The IPA KDC will add a PAC to the TGTs which
>>contains additional authorization data including SIDs. The PAC is then
>>used on the Windows side to evaluate if access is granted or not.
>>
>>bye,
>>Sumit
>>

>Building on what you said regarding the one-way trust, I already have
>an IPA user in Active Directory that I created when I was initially
>setting this up as a synchronized domain instead of a trust.
>
>There are two ways I can go here - I can either revert back to the
>password sync and replication, or somehow convince IPA to use that
>user for the trust relationship. I suspect it will impossible without
>a patch to use a user account instead of Kerberos for the trust, so
>that leaves going back to the replication setup.
The latter is impossible. You can try FreeIPA 4.2 with one-way trust
once it becomes available to your platform.

I've asked on this list two weeks ago if anyone is interested in seeing
FreeIPA 4.2 released for CentOS in a test repo before it comes via
official path after release of the next Red Hat Enterprise Linux update.
To day I received zero responses which leaves me puzzled.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy