[Freeipa-users] Ubuntu Samba Server Auth against IPA

Christopher Lamb christopher.lamb at ch.ibm.com
Mon Aug 3 15:17:49 UTC 2015

Hi Matt

It sounds like you now have prepared FreeIPA for Samba

I assume you have already configured Samba to authenticate via FreeIPA
(changes to the [global] section of your smb.conf file, secrets.tdb etc.

Next you need to add your samba groups to FreeIPA. (i.e FreeIPA groups,
with SambaGroupType = 4)

For example:

In FreeIPA under cn=accounts, cn=users we have a group called "smb-junit".

This group has (among others) the attribute SambaGroupType = 4

We can then use the name of the group in the smb.conf file

[junit]
	comment = JUnit Share
	path = /samba/junit
	browseable = no