[Freeipa-users] Ubuntu Samba Server Auth against IPA

Christopher Lamb christopher.lamb at ch.ibm.com
Tue Aug 4 19:22:45 UTC 2015

Hi Matt, Youeen

Just to set the background properly, I did not invent this process. I know
only a little about FreeIPA, and almost nothing about Samba, but I guess I
was lucky enough to get the integration working on a Sunday afternoon. (I
did have an older FreeIPA 3.x / Samba 3.x installation as a reference).

It sounds like we need to step back, and look at the test user and group in
the FreeIPA LDAP tree. I find using an LDAP browser makes this much easier.

My FreeIPA / Samba Users have the following Samba extensions in FreeIPA
(cn=accounts, cn=users):

* objectClass: sambasamaccount

* Attributes: sambaSID, sambaNTPassword, sambaPwdLastSet

My FreeIPA / Samba Groups have the following Samba extensions in FreeIPA
(cn=accounts, cn=groups):

* objectClass: sambaGroupMapping

* Attributes: sambaGroupType, sambaSID

The Users must belong to one or more of the samba groups that you have
setup.

If you don't have something similar to the above (which sounds like it is
the case), then something went wrong applying the extensions. It would be
worth testing comparing a new user / group created post adding the
extensions to a previous existing user.

i.e.
are the extensions missing on existing users / groups?
are the extensions missing on new users / groups?

Cheers

Chris