[Freeipa-users] Ubuntu Samba Server Auth against IPA

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Sat Aug 8 09:49:17 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> [...]
> 1.1) Documentation:		Not yet documented, as under development
> 1.2) Viability 4.x/4.x: 		In development, not yet available. (???
> Any idea of a possible timeline ???)
> 1.3) Schema Extensions: 	Will this path use the AD Trust Extensions?
> ipasam module?
> 1.4) Active Directory: 		Will this path work without AD (like 2) below)?
> 1.5) Other:				Should be more scalable (less duplication of
> function e.g. connections, caches)
>
> 2) A path using the IPASAM module + AD Trust Extensions to the FreeIPA
> schema,
> 2.1) Documentation:		Is currently best documented further back in
> this thread (post(s) from Youeen)
> 2.2) Viability 4.x/4.x: 		Is viable for FreeIPA 4.x / Samba 4.x.
> This is the path successfully tested / implemented by Youeen. However,
> while viable, this solution is not actively supported, as efforts are
> focussed on 1) above.
> 2.3) Schema Extensions: 	Requires schema extensions
> (ipa-adtrust-install).
> 2.4) Active Directory: 		Despite the AD extensions, NO Active Directory
> required in the architecture.
> 2.5) Other:				half LDAP (to read NTHash/SID), half Kerberos
> (to bind samba to the LDAP).
>
> 3) A path using  the LDAPSAM module + Samba Extensions to the FreeIPA
> schema.
> 3.1) Documentation:		Is best documented under
> http://techslaves.org/2011/08/24/freeipa-and-samba-3-integration/,
> (although this article contains some small errors).
> 3.2) Viability 4.x/4.x: 		May no longer be fully viable for FreeIPA
> 4.x / Samba 4.x, or only viable with some quirks / workarounds.
> 3.3) Schema Extensions: 	Requires schema extensions via LDAPMODIFY /
> LDAPADD scripts + changes to FreeIPA python scripts and WebUI
> 3.4) Active Directory: 		NO Active Directory required in the
> architecture. (Samba clients can be “islands”).
> 3.5) Other:				Is the path that I am currently using in
> production (originally with 3.x/3.x, now with 4.x/4.x)
>
> 4) A path using the kerberos module and Active Directory + AD Trust
> Extensions to the FreeIPA schema.
> 4.1) Documentation:		Is documented under:
> https://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Integrating_a_Samba_File_Server_With_IPA
> 4.2) Viability 4.x/4.x: 		??? The article above mentions FreeIPA 3.3
> +, but also RHEL 7.1 preferred / sssd 1.12.2+, which suggests 4.x / 4.x.
> 4.3) Schema Extensions: 	Requires schema extensions
> (ipa-adtrust-install)
> 4.4) Active Directory: 		Requires Active Directory + Domain in the
> architecture. (i.e. Samba clients are NOT “islands”).
>
> If we can confirm / correct the above, it can serve as the basis for a
> FreeIPA Wiki Page, with child How-to articles for each of the viable
> solutions.
>
> As I am using solution 3) in production, yet other have problems getting it
> working at all, I have now set up a throwaway VM running FreeIPA 4.1 and
> Samba 4.1.12, and can experiment freely with 3), and after that with 2).
(1), (2), and (4) are the same. You enable FreeIPA with ipa-adtrust-install and then you configure some IPA client as a Samba file server. The way you configure it depends on (1) or (2) or (4) but really, (2) and (4) are the same and (1) requires ipa-adtrust-install-based configuration because SSSD relies on the same LDAP schema for IPA and SIDs.

There is nothing wrong with (3) except that you are responsible yourself in maintaining the schema extensions and configuration, and generate SIDs, etc.

I need to update the code in Samba upstream to merge some of ipasam features to ldapsam and maybe make it aware of IPA schema/ability to switch using IPA schema so that the configuration could be simplified.
At least authenticating with kerberos is something I'd like to push back to Samba's ldapsam.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy