[Freeipa-users] Registering Amazon Linux instance remotely

Yogesh Sharma yks0000 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 22 17:45:24 UTC 2015

FreeIPA in Amazon Linux is a pain as they donot support, we have also
raised a feature request with Amazon Linux and as per them it will be
available in next amazon linux release though no ETA yet.

Per your concern, it seems your script is able to register the client but
cocern here is only to add client in specfic IPA hostgroup, if so then you
can add automember rules in ipa server. You donot need to worry about it at
the time of enrolling, if automember rule is their it will land in specific
hostgroup based on your regex which you have specified.

On your concern, about running the script remotely, its better to add your
script in User Data, so that it will be executed automatically once your
instance get provisioned or use any cms tool like chef, puppet to do this.

Also, it recommeded to use private ip instead of public ip or eip as they
are static, though depends on your use case.

-Yogesh Sharma

(Sent from my HTC)