[Freeipa-users] OS X Yosemite unable to authenticate

Ejner Fergo ejnersan at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 09:27:35 UTC 2015

I've setup some OSX (10.9 + 10.10) machines to authenticate against IPA
(centos 7.x), and like you I've followed the linsec.ca tutorial precisely.
I haven't had problems login in as an IPA user on any system I have setup,
so I'm afraid this reply is pretty useless to you.

Only issue that I had, that the linsec.ca tutorial didn't mention, was
support for nested groups. I managed to figure it out, by adding this Group
object/attribute:

GroupMemberShip / memberUid

Sorry I can't help you, just wanted to let you know it is possible to use.

Best regards,
Ejner Fergo

On Sunday, December 20, 2015, Cal Sawyer <cal-s at blue-bolt.com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> I'm attempting to set up LDAP auth (against IPA server 4.10) from a OSX
10.10.5 (Yosemite) client

> Using the excellent instructions at
http://linsec.ca/Using_FreeIPA_for_User_Authentication#Mac_OS_X_10.7.2F10.8%20%22Linsec.ca%20tutorial%20for%20connecting%20Mac%20OS%2010.7%20to%20IPA%20Server,
I've populated the specified files, d/l'd the cert, am able to configure
Users and Groups objects/attribs and browse both from within OSX's
Directory Utility.    ldapsearch similarly returns the expected results.

> In spite of this, i'm unable to authenticate as any IPA-LDAP user on this
system

> dirsrv log on the ipa master shows no apparent errors - remote auth
attempts exit with "RESULT err=0 tag=101 nentries=1 etime=0", but tell the
truth, there so much stuff there and being rather inexperienced with LDAP
diags i might easily be missing something in the details

> The linsec.ca instructions were written in the 10.7-10.8 era so something
may have changed since.  Having said that, we've had no problems
authenticating against our existing OpenLDAP server (which IPA is slated to
replace) right up to 10.10.5 with no zero to our Directory Utility setup.

> Hoping someone here has some contemporary experience with OSX and IPA and
for whom this issue rings a bell?