[Freeipa-users] Using 3rd party certificates for HTTP/LDAP

Peter Pakos peter at pakos.pl
Mon Dec 21 16:43:19 UTC 2015

Hi,

I tried to install a wildcard SSL certificate for HTTP/LDAP in our
FreeIPA 4.1 (Centos 7.1) installation by following instructions from
wiki page at
http://www.freeipa.org/page/Using_3rd_part_certificates_for_HTTP/LDAP:

# ipa-server-certinstall -w -d shdc01.ipa.wandisco.com.pem
Directory Manager password:
Enter private key unlock password:
Command /usr/bin/certutil' '-d' '/etc/httpd/alias' '-D' '-n'
'Server-Cert returned non-zero exit status 255

After this I was unable to start httpd service, error_log revealed the
following error messages:

[Wed Nov 25 18:15:44.262751 2015] [:error] [pid 22124] Certificate not
found: 'Server-Cert'

In order to resurrect the service I had to change NSSNickname in
/etc/httpd/conf.d/nss.conf to match the new certificate's nickname.

Although the httpd service started, I couldn't get into Authentication
tab in FreeIPA UI - I kept getting the following error message: "Unable
to communicate with CMS (Service Unavailable)".

[root at shdc01 ~]# yum list installed | grep ipa-server
ipa-server.x86_64 4.1.0-18.el7.centos.4 @updates

[root at shdc01 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS Linux release 7.1.1503 (Core)

At this point I was forced to restore our FreeIPA installation from a
snapshot as I wasn't able to fix it (I got some useful hints from
#freeipa Freenode channel however we still didn't manage to fully
resurrect the server).

My question is, what is the correct way of installing a 3rd party
certificate for HTTP/LDAP that will actually work?

Many thanks in advance.

BTW, I also added a comment describing this problem to the ticket at
https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/5496.

--
Kind regards,
  Peter Pakos