[Freeipa-users] Issues with 'A replication agreement for the host already exists', when it very much doesn't

Ludwig Krispenz lkrispen at redhat.com
Tue Dec 22 08:28:09 UTC 2015

On 12/21/2015 05:49 PM, Alex Williams wrote:
> I began installing a new ipa4 replica this morning and it all went
> wrong. The ipa-replica-install script got all the way to restarting
> ipa with systemctl at the very end, having set up replication and then
> fell over, because systemctl couldn't find the ipa service. I removed
> the replica from our master, I deleted the host from there too, I
> un-installed ipa-server on the new replica machine, I even created a
> new replica-prepare script on the master, but now the server just
> errors immediately with:
>
>     A replication agreement for this host already exists. It needs to
> be removed.
>
> I've verified several times, that no replica, or host with the same
> name exists in the master, there are no ldap entries under masters,
> with that hostname, nothing. There is literally no trace of the new
> host, on the old master. Running `ipa-replica-manage list` shows just
> the 3 ipa servers we have already, no sign of this new host. Yet, if I
> run `ipa-replica-manage del hostname --force` on the master, it will
> in fact say that it's forcing removal, skipping checking if anything
> will be orphaned and that no RUV records were found.
>
> I'm now lost, I really don't know where to start with fixing this.
we should first try to get a clear picture of existing agreements and
state of replication. Could you on all servers do the following searches
(as directory manager)

ldapsearch -LLL -o ldif-wrap=no  ..... -b "cn=config"
"objectclass=nsds5replicationagreement" nsDS5ReplicaRoot nsDS5ReplicaHost
ldapsearch -LLL -o ldif-wrap=no ...... -b "cn=config"
"objectclass=nsds5replica" nsDS5ReplicaRoot nsDS5ReplicaId nsds50ruv