[Freeipa-users] IPA-adtrust and addition of replicas

William william at firstyear.id.au
Sun Feb 1 22:56:43 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-02-01 at 17:49 +0200, Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 01 Feb 2015, William wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I have a single master instance of IPA 3.3.5 at the moment. I have
> >configured this with IPA adtrust and run the adtrust preparation. I am
> >about to add a second replica.
> >
> >The documentation[0][1] doesn't really go into what happens in this
> >circumstance. Do I need to make any configuration on the replica once I
> >have installed it? Or does the replica information file hint to the
> >ipa-replica-installer that adtrust components must be configured? IE can
> >my new replica act as a trust master, and will it correctly update
> >attributes such as iPAntpassword?
> No, it will not. Although information about trust setup is in the
> replicated subtree, the plugins which get configured for the trust case are
> configured in cn=config which is not in the replicated subtree, thus
> they will need to be configured explicitly with ipa-adtrust-install on
> each replica which will provide services to IPA clients accessible by AD
> users.
>
> Password generation will be performed on such non-configured replica,
> though, because our password plugin will be able to generate ipaNTHash
> attribute for any user that has ipaNTSecurityIdentifier attribute.
> However, ipaNTSecurityIdentifier attribute is populated by sidgen plugin
> which is only activated when ipa-adtrust-install was run.

Wow! From all this it really sounds like adding a replica in to an IPA
domain where adtrust has been run could have a few edge cases. For
example, what would happen if I create a new account on a replica
without adtrust? Would sidgen run on the adtrust machine when it get's
the record replicated to it?

What does one need to do to setup my new replica as a potential adtrust
replica? For example, I am about to decommission my old master, so I
would like the adtrust setup to available on the new master. Is it just
a case of running the adtrust-install tool again?

> Additionally, extdom plugin is what SSSD on IPA clients uses to request
> SID to name and name to SID resolution for AD users. It is also
> configured with the help of ipa-adtrust-install.
>
> Now, there is something interesting you've reminded me about by pointing
> to the ticket below:
> >[0] http://www.freeipa.org/page/V3/MultipleTrustServers
> >[1] https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/2189
> This ticket concerns enabling multiple IPA masters as domain controllers
> from Active Directory point of view. After running ipa-adtrust-install,
> the domain controllers will be advertised in the DNS service records and
> they will be contacted by AD DC at the point of validating trust (part
> of 'ipa trust-add' sequence).
>
> What I realized now is that with FreeIPA 3.3+ we moved ID resolution
> fully to SSSD and we technically don't need to run full 'domain
> controller' stack (e.g. Samba) on a master that only wants to resolve
> IDs rather than participating in a balancing of the domain controller
> duties.

What are the domain controller duties separate from the ID resolution
tasks? What components carry out the id resolution?

> For such operation we could have a scaled-down version of
> ipa-adtrust-install which doesn't install Samba and configure it for use
> as a DC. Rather, it would install and configure required plugins
> (sidgen, extdom, but not cldap) to allow KDC to issue proper MS-PAC
> information to the master's host/fqdn at REALM key -- this is what will
> enable SSSD on the master to gain access to AD LDAP/Global Catalog over
> the trust.
>
> Such a lightweight configured 'domain controller' would only be able to
> resolve AD user/group identities but this is just what needed in
> majority of deployments. As result, with this approach we can also solve
> an issue of forced install of Samba on each master -- something we were
> looking to fix.

This should be configured on replicas added to the network if adtrust
has been run already. Perhaps this is something to consider also?
Consistency through out the domain is a good thing.

> We would still need to make sure we are falling back to a proper master
> to act on trust-related management operations with IPA CLI and web UI
> because without enabled Samba on the master we wouldn't be able to
> establish trust at all (or change few other bits).

Thanks for your time.

Sincerely,

William