[Freeipa-users] JSON error enrolling host (Fedora 21 / IPA 4.1.2)

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Mon Feb 2 19:33:18 UTC 2015

On Mon, 02 Feb 2015, Gerardo Cuppari wrote:
>Well, I just reinstalled everything without the ".local" in the domain and
>everything worked at first. Sorry for the troubles...
>
>Odd is that with ipa 3 on Centos 7 everything worked with domain
>"estudio.local"
Do you have avahi activated and 'hosts: files mdns4_minimal [notfound=RETURN] ...'
in your /etc/nsswitch.conf?

Avahi overtakes .local domain because RFC 6762 reserves .local for
multicast DNS name resolution protocol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.local#Multicast_DNS_standard

"Any DNS query for a name ending with .local MUST be sent to the mDNS
IPv4 link-local multicast address 224.0.0.251 (or its IPv6 equivalent
FF02::FB)…"

Fedora chose to follow this policy and force use of mDNS resolver
through [notfound=RETURN] option (i.e., get .local names resolved via
/etc/hosts and mDNS only).

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy