[Freeipa-users] admin password is always expired

Petr Vobornik pvoborni at redhat.com
Tue Feb 10 11:55:39 UTC 2015

On 02/10/2015 12:00 PM, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
> On 10/02/15 07:44, Dmitri Pal wrote:
>> On 02/09/2015 05:35 PM, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I seem to have locked myself out of my ipa admin account (on RHEL
>>> 6.6). This is an evaluation instance so not too big a deal, but a good
>>> learning experience. I suspect its some changes that I made to the
>>> password policy that caused this.
>>>
>>> The admin account has expired and I'm trying to reset the password
>>> like this:
>>>
>>> # kadmin.local
>>> Authenticating as principal root/admin at REALM with password.
>>> kadmin.local:  change_password admin at REALM
>>> Enter password for principal "admin at REALM":
>>> Re-enter password for principal "admin at REALM":
>>> Password for "admin at REALM" changed.
>>> kadmin.local:  q
>>>
>>> where REALM is my realm.
>>>
>>> Then when I try to authenticate as admin:
>>>
>>> # kinit admin
>>> Password for admin at REALM:
>>> Password expired.  You must change it now.
>>> Enter new password:
>>> Enter it again:
>>> kinit: Password has expired while getting initial credentials
>>>
>>> and the password is not reset.
>>>
>>> This is what the password policy looks like at the moment:
>>>
>>> kadmin.local:  get_policy global_policy
>>> Policy: global_policy
>>> Maximum password life: 864000000
>>> Minimum password life: 0
>>> Minimum password length: 8
>>> Minimum number of password character classes: 0
>>> Number of old keys kept: 0
>>> Reference count: 0
>>> Maximum password failures before lockout: 6
>>> Password failure count reset interval: 0 days 00:01:00
>>> Password lockout duration: 0 days 00:10:00
>>>
>>> I'm trying to set this back to the defaults in the hope that this
>>> allows me to reset the admin password properly, but I'm getting eg:
>>>
>>> kadmin.local:  modify_policy -maxlife "90 days" global_policy
>>> modify_policy: Plugin does not support the operation while modifying
>>> policy "global_policy".
>>>
>>> Am I on the right track to fixing the admin password problem?
>>>
>>> What am I doing wrong in trying to repair the password policy?
>>>
>>> Actually when I do the following it looks strange that Policy is set
>>> to none, but maybe this is a red herring:
>>>
>>> kadmin.local:  get_principal admin
>>> Principal: admin at REALM
>>> Expiration date: [never]
>>> Last password change: Mon Feb 09 18:28:09 GMT 2015
>>> Password expiration date: Tue May 22 11:59:53 GMT 1906
>>> Maximum ticket life: 1 day 00:00:00
>>> Maximum renewable life: 7 days 00:00:00
>>> Last modified: Mon Feb 09 18:28:09 GMT 2015 (kadmind at REALM)
>>> Last successful authentication: Mon Feb 09 18:27:00 GMT 2015
>>> Last failed authentication: Mon Feb 09 18:25:24 GMT 2015
>>> Failed password attempts: 0
>>> Number of keys: 4
>>> Key: vno 16, aes256-cts-hmac-sha1-96, Version 5
>>> Key: vno 16, aes128-cts-hmac-sha1-96, Version 5
>>> Key: vno 16, des3-cbc-sha1, Version 5
>>> Key: vno 16, arcfour-hmac, Version 5
> [...]

Resetting the password using ldappasswd won't help if the culprit is
global or other IPA password policy. You can change the policy in LDAP
as Directory Manager. It's located in:

cn=global_policy,cn=EXAMPLE.COM,cn=kerberos,dc=example,dc=com

then you can try to kinit and set the new password.
--
Petr Vobornik