[Freeipa-users] firewalld management

Dmitri Pal dpal at redhat.com
Fri Jan 2 19:07:47 UTC 2015

On 01/01/2015 07:49 PM, Rob Crittenden wrote:
> Andrew Holway wrote:
>> This would perhaps be a very interesting addition to the HBAC stuff.
>> We're considering deploying freeipa on EC2 and LDAP backed firewalld
>> would be a very powerful tool for a geographically distributed system.
> There is an existing open ticket for this request,
>
> A user contributed an initial design was contributed a few months ago,
> http://www.freeipa.org/page/V4/Firewall_Configuration
>
> Definitely a desirable feature, just a matter of scheduling it.

It seems that the use cases a bit different.
The ticket talks about the IPA server firewall configuration.
The thread seems to talk about the clients. I do not think we have a
ticket for that.
The question seems to be: is IPA the right place to store and manage
firewall rules centrally?
How would they be enforced?
Is it a one time configuration at the client installation or real time
enforcement of the specific configuration via SSSD or something else?
We start to bridge into SCAP area. Is this the right direction to go?
I have doubts...

Comments welcome!