[Freeipa-users] authenticate samba 3 or 4 with freeipa: building ipasam.so on Ubuntu

Raoul Becke subscribe.becke at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 22:34:37 UTC 2015

Alexander Bokovoy <abokovoy at ...> writes:

> On Fri, 28 Mar 2014, Jason Woods wrote:
> >Hi
> >(Apologies - resending to the list - I'm so used to the Reply-To already
set but it appears not to be here my bad.)

> >> On 28 Mar 2014, at 11:32, Petr Spacek <pspacek at ...> wrote:
> >>
> >> Please let us know if it worked for you or not. I'm curious!
> >
> >I'm pretty curious too.
> >
> >I have RHEL 6.5 with samba authenticating with IPA using ipasam.so. I
> >needed to add two patches though to 3.0 to fix 'valid users' group
> >resolution and also performance. They're merged into master and 3.3
> >and will be in RHEL 7.
> >
> >Apart from the patching it was easy to do - just needed ipa-server and
> >ipa-server-adtrust installed and setup and it did all the config for me
> >(the adtrust part sets up samba with ipasam.so for you).
> >
> >Problem is running ipasam.so without the ipa-server locally - is how to
> >get it so the host can see ipaNTHash in the schema to check password.
> >If ipa-server is local the host has access, otherwise it doesn't.
> >
> >So be good to find out what aci or service principal stuff makes that
> >available in an elegant and secure way.
> We have https://fedorahosted.org/freeipa/ticket/3999 for documenting it
> all and may be creating a simple configuration tool.
>
> Timing is not yet defined.

Is there any news on this issue?
I tried the following work-around which unfortunately did not work.
1. On the IPA Server:
]# yum install ipa-server-trust-ad
2. On the IPA Server: Run "ipa-adtrust-install"
]# ipa-adtrust-install
3. On ipa-server: Copy "ipasam.so" to samba server:
]# scp /usr/lib64/samba/pdb/ipasam.so file--s0-v1.becke.ch:/usr/lib64/samba/pdb/
4. On ipa-server:Create the following CIFS service:
]# ipa service-add cifs/file--s0-v1.becke.ch at BECKE.CH
5. On ipa-server: Create keytab for samba server and copy over to samba server
]# ipa-getkeytab -s directory--s0-v1.becke.ch -p
cifs/file--s0-v1.becke.ch at BECKE.CH -k /tmp/samba.keytab
]# scp /tmp/samba.keytab root at file--s0-v1.becke.ch:/etc/samba/samba.keytab

6. On samba server:
vi /etc/samba/smb.conf
[global]
        workgroup = BECKECH
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        netbios name = FILES0V1

	log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
	max log size = 50

        realm = BECKE.CH
        kerberos method = dedicated keytab
        dedicated keytab file = FILE:/etc/samba/samba.keytab
        create krb5 conf = no

        security = user

#        passdb backend = ipasam:ldapi://%2fvar%2frun%2fslapd-BECKE-CH.socket
        passdb backend = ipasam:ldaps://directory--s0-v1.becke.ch

        ldapsam:trusted=yes
        ldap ssl = off
        ldap suffix = dc=becke,dc=ch
        ldap user suffix = cn=users,cn=accounts
        ldap group suffix = cn=groups,cn=accounts
        ldap machine suffix = cn=computers,cn=accounts

But all this did not help and I always get:
]# smbclient -L file--s0-v1.becke.ch -U test--s0-v1%eo885418 -d 10
  NTLMSSP_NEGOTIATE_KEY_EXCH
SPNEGO login failed: Logon failure
session setup failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE

Doing the same against the IPA Server everything works fine:
# smbclient -L directory--s0-v1.becke.ch -U test--s0-v1%eo885418 -d 10

... Maybe there is something wrong in: "cli_init_creds" ... but now after
hours of research, debugging and testing I will give up and switch to
"tdbsam" which is not optimal but should at least work ...