[Freeipa-users] Creating Home directories still presents as -sh-4.1$ after changing oddjob mask

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Thu Jan 22 11:12:30 UTC 2015

On Thu, 22 Jan 2015, Sina Owolabi wrote:
>Sorry I was misunderstood. The umm.../bin/sh? Was me being sheepish after
>causing all the ruckus this morning.
>-sh-4.1$ getent passwd sina
>sina:*:392100000:392100000:Sina Owolabi:/home/sina:/bin/sh
>
>How do I change the default to /bin/bash?
If it is IPA user, do following:

$ kinit sina
$ ipa user-mod sina --shell=/bin/bash

The default is to have the shell set to /bin/sh because bash isn't
available on all platforms by default and OpenSSH will refuse to log in
a user which uses non-existing shell. /bin/sh is guaranteed to exist in
all POSIX-compatible environments.

You can change defaults via

$ kinit admin
$ ipa config-mod --defaultshell=/bin/bash

The defaults will only apply to users that will be created after the
change.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy