[Freeipa-users] username case sensitivity

Sumit Bose sbose at redhat.com
Wed Jul 1 11:15:55 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 01, 2015 at 10:12:54AM +0200, Jakub Hrozek wrote:

> > > default.

> > > LDAP?
> > > is using sssd, just a regular ipa client installation.  If I logged in using
> > > USERName insetad of username, the match clause did not work.

> > > I wonder if it's still an issue with 1.12.x and the Kerberos plugin Sumit wrote.
> > > Do we have a way to track these requests?
> > >
> > > Andy, if you have some test machines, could you give 6.7 a try?
> > >

> > The usernames from AD are still not case sensitive on 6.7 so a
> >
> > Match User Testuser
> >
> > Stanza in the ssh config is not matched if they login as
> >
> > testuser
> >
> > but does match if they login with
> >
> > Testuser
>
> Thanks for the reply. Then I guess sshd doesn't canonicalize the
> username with getpwnam(). But I admit I don't know exactly what sshd
> does, so I hope other developers would chime in here..

iirc sshd does call getpwnam() with the name given at the login prompt
to determine if the user exists at all and its home-directory, shell,
UID and GID which is needed later on. But it does not expect that the
name gets canonicalized and continues to use the name given at the login
prompt.

I wonder if it would be possible to use group names in the Match clause
in your setup? Since sshd must call getgroups() and getgrgid() to get
this information here the lower-case group name returned by SSSD should
work.

bye,
Sumit