[Freeipa-users] IPA replica without CA, how to become CA

Matt . yamakasi.014 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 18:05:56 UTC 2015

Small update on this.

The replica without CA is not going to find any CA as the master is
"dead" so we need a CA.

The question is how to approach, you have a replica with only ldap
information and no CA.

Is it possible to create a split-brain like, install IPA1 as a normal
ipa server, so it becomes CA, but than ? I wonder if you can create a
(ipa1)replica from your replica2 with (ipa1)replica as your CA.

The reason why I saw this in my tests is from older docs. The docs say
to create a replica server but never mentioned the CA in it... so I'm
quite sure that lots of people have a replica installation between 2
servers which only has one CA.

Discussing this with Simo on IRC it seems to be some nice writing to
have in the docs and now I found out... I'm trying to create this
using my tests.

But some unclear things have to be made clear first.

Cheers,

Matt