[Freeipa-users] Migrating from custom auth system

Alexander Bokovoy abokovoy at redhat.com
Thu Jul 9 13:20:52 UTC 2015

On Thu, 09 Jul 2015, Nicola Canepa wrote:
>Thank you Alexander.
>If the previous password is not used, I could set an impossible-hash
>password (such as "{crypt}*") and let users login authenticating
>trhough PAM?
How would you authenticate then? Remember that it is the hash in
userPassword attribute that is used for actual authentication. If
password-handling plugin cannot calculate to the same hash based on the
plain-text password it was supplied via LDAP bind, how would user
successfully authenticate?

If you migrate this way, you need password hashes, at least.
If you are going to issue users with new passwords, just create all of
them in IPA with these new passwords and ask them to login, at least
once, to IPA self-service.

>Or I could put the "user-add" in the pam_exec script (but only if the
>user does not already exists).
I don't think is is sufficiently good, at least I wouldn't do it this
way.

--
/ Alexander Bokovoy