[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA and sambaPwdLastSet

Christopher Lamb christopher.lamb at ch.ibm.com
Mon Jul 20 13:56:50 UTC 2015

Hi Rob

The users do have the sambaSamAccount ObjectClass.

Or to be more precise, some have sambasamaccount (all lower case), and some
have sambaSAMAccount (mixed case)

Are objectclasses case sensitive?

Chris

From:	Rob Crittenden <rcritten at redhat.com>
To:	Christopher Lamb/Switzerland/IBM at IBMCH, Alexander Bokovoy
            <abokovoy at redhat.com>
Cc:	freeipa-users at redhat.com
Date:	20.07.2015 15:47
Subject:	Re: [Freeipa-users] FreeIPA and sambaPwdLastSet

http://www.freeipa.org/page/Howto/Integrating_a_Samba_File_Server_With_IPA
> sounds interesting (and we are running the correct versions of OEL 7.1
and
> SSSD), it seems to require the Windows clients to be members of an Active
> Diretory trusted by IPA.
>
> Unfortunately there is no AD in our architecture - our Windows and OSX
> clients are effectively islands. That would seem to leave us stuck with
> sambaPwdLastSet.
>
> After a user has had his password reset via the IPA WebUi to a temporary
> value, the user then logs on using the temporary password, and is asked
> enter a new password. At his point sambaPwdLastSet should be set to a
> positive value. However our testing indicates that it is not. We have
tried
> 3 techniques:
>
> 1) User connects to LDAP server via remote ssh.
>
> 2) kinit <user>
>
> 3) su - <user> over an existing ssh session with another user (e.g. mine)
>
> In all three cases the user is able to set their password, but
> sambaPwdLastSet remains set to 0.
>
> As a workaround we use Apache Directory Studio to manually set
> sambaPwdLastSet once the user has changed his password.
>
> Chris

AFAICT the user needs the sambaSamAccount objectclass in order for this
to work. Is that the case?

rob