[Freeipa-users] FreeIPA clean removal and re-install on replacement VM.

Walter van Lille walter.van.lille at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 08:03:46 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

I've taken over a FreeIPA 3.0.0.---- server (only one, no mirrors) running
on Centos 6 that is incredibly broken.
I've already tried a lot of troubleshooting etc and setting up a mirror,
but I just can't seem to get rid of the issue. As such I have basically
decided to de-commision the server and start fresh on a new VM with a clean
Centos and FreeIPA install.
I'm not 100% sure what would be the best way to proceed though, as we have
many clients that are already configured to use the existing server.
The config files etc are intact on the existing server, so I can reference
them when doing the configuration. I just need some guidance on how to
proceed so that I can achieve this with the least amount of
clashes/downtime.

Here is a short sample of what has been happening:
sudo ipactl status

Directory Service: RUNNING                ----------------- Unresponsive
for almost 10 minutes - then carries on -----------------
KDC Service: RUNNING
KPASSWD Service: RUNNING
DNS Service: RUNNING
MEMCACHE Service: RUNNING
HTTP Service: RUNNING
CA Service: RUNNING
ADTRUST Service: RUNNING
EXTID Service: RUNNING

[mbu.example at freeipa ~]$ kinit mbu.example
kinit: Cannot contact any KDC for realm 'EXAMPLE.COM' while getting initial
credentials

sudo ipactl restart

Restarting Directory Service
Shutting down dirsrv:
    EXAMPLE-EXAM...                                     [FAILED]
    PKI-IPA...                                             [  OK  ]
  *** Error: 1 instance(s) unsuccessfully stopped          [FAILED]
Starting dirsrv:
   EXAMPLE-EXAM ... already running                     [  OK  ]
    PKI-IPA...                                             [  OK  ]
Failed to restart Directory Service:

Regards,

Walter